Brown Butter Skate Wing Topped with Herb Infused Goat Cheese
Skate wing is a delicacy in most European countries as its firm and tender flesh is stringy with a mild flavor similar to scallops. Super abundant off the shores of New England, it is harvested by the millions of pounds throughout the year on the Chatham Fish Pier. Skate provides a nice change in pace if you are looking to mix it up from the ever popular white flaky fish we are so accustomed to. Super affordable and currently under utilized in the United States, Skate is prime to make a resurgence as chefs around the country are beginning to take notice and add it to their menus.
In this recipe, you will be preparing a very elegant and sophisticated dish that combines skate wing, herbs, and goat cheese. The goat cheese elevates this dish as its creamy flavor blends beautifully with the stringy and tender texture of skate. To start, pat dry the skate wing and salt them generously to remove the excess moisture. As the fillets are drying, prepare your herbs and garnishes by dicing your shallots and parsley. Next, combine the salt, pepper, and flour and coat the skate wings thoroughly (be sure to gently tap the fillets to remove any excess seasoned flour).
Once your skate wings are coated, it is time to getting cooking. Heat a non-stick fry pan to medium/high heat and add your vegetable oil. Once the oil comes to temperature add the skate wing to the pan. To avoid injuries, lay the skate wing into the pan away from you so the hot oil does not splatter towards you. Cook each side for 2-3 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets. We recommend slicing the skate wing into portion size pieces as it becomes so tender and brittle when cooking that it is sometimes tough to flip in the pan.
As the skate wing is cooking, in a separate pan begin to prepare the brown butter and herb infused goat cheese topping. First, heat the pan and add your butter. Once the butter is melted and begins to brown, add the shallots and lemon juice. Once the shallots become translucent add the goat cheese. Feel free to add as much or as little as you would like. If you are not a fan of goat cheese, parmesan cheese is a potential backup option for this dish. As you add the goat cheese it will most likely be clumpy, be sure to break it apart so it can begin to melt. Once it begins to melt, add the parsley and remove from the heat to prevent any burning.
Its plating time! First, plate the skate wing on your dish with any sides that are accompanying this meal. We recommend roasted carrots and potatoes as the butter sauce and goat cheese blend wonderfully with each of them. Next, spoon the brown butter herb infused goat cheese onto the skate wing and sides. To finish, top with fresh parsley, salt, and pepper. Be sure to snap a picture or two as this will leave your friends and families astonished and always wanting one more bite. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- 1 lb Skate Wing
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- Salt and Pepper
Brown Butter Infused Goat Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ½ Shallot (Diced)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Goat Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Parlsey
- Pat dry the skate wing fillets and salt to remove any excess moisture.
- Mix together the salt, pepper, and flour. Once combined, coat both sides of the skate wing fillets. Once coated, tap gently to remove any excess flour.
- Add vegetable oil to your non-stick pan and heat. Once the oil is heated add the coated skate wing fillets. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side. As the skate is cooking be sure to baste the excess vegetable oil on top of the fillet. The skate wing is finished cooking when the consistency of the fillets resemble pulled chicken and you can easily break it apart (it might be crazy to think, but the skate wing texture is stringy similar to pulled chick and pork).
- As the skate wing is frying, begin the brown butter herb infused goat cheese topping. In a separate pan, add the unsalted brown butter and let it melt and begin to brown. As it is browning, add the shallots and lemon juice. Once the shallots are translucent, add the goat cheese. Be sure to crumble the goat cheese so it begins to melt. Remove the sauce from the heat and add parsley on top.
- Plate the skate wing and top with the brown butter herb infused goat cheese. Feel free to top with extra fresh parsley, salt, and pepper. Serve with a side of roasted carrots and fingerling potatoes. Enjoy!